Do you know Oshogatsu(お正月)?? I think it is the most symbol of Japanese custom. The first three days in a new year are called Oshogatsu.
1st January, Japanese eat Omochi(お餅) and Osechi cooking(おせち料理). Adults eat them with some alcohol such as Nihon-shu(日本酒). And we meet our relative within these three days to greet and celebrate for each new year's start. Then, we say "あけましておめでとうございます" each other.
As traditional custom, we children gain money from them. But in the next Oshogatsu, maybe I can't get money because I'm 20 years old(T^T). When I was a child, I always gained money a little from them! The money called "Otoshidama(お年玉)". So, after Christmas, I was looking forward to Oshogatsu every year because of it.
Also, we write a letter called "Nenga jou(年賀状)" as well as a new year card.
I can't help waiting Oshogatsu!!
Please go to this link if you want to know more. Of caurse, ask me:^)
Hey Gaku!!!
ReplyDeleteI wish I got money on New Years! In America we typically just celebrate New Year's eve(The night before New Year's day). I never get any gifts on New Years. We usually just get Chinese food and that's it. Maybe I should go to Japan for Oshogatsu...
Hi!
ReplyDeleteWow, I'm sure you should experience Oshogatsu.I know in New York lots of fireworks can be seen every New Year's eve night! That's cool. I'd like to experience!