Monday, November 15, 2010

Omisoka(大晦日)!!

One of my favorite events in Japan is… Omisoka! This day is a last day of one year. We clean house hardly and make an osechi (like a lunchbox which we eat them on new year day) to ready for a new year day.
Japanese have a culture called ‘toshi-koshi soba (year-crossing noodle)’. Japanese people traditionally eat toshikoshi noodles on New Year’s Eve before midnight. But most members of my family don’t stay up late usually, so I spent this day at midnight with my younger sister every year. That means my sister is the first person for me to say ‘Happy new year’ word. 
But this year, I’m going to spent Omisoka with my old friends at friend’s house. Because this year is special for us! (We have coming-of-age ceremony in January.)

How about you?
What plan do you have in the day end of this year??

2 comments:

  1. When I was younger I used to spend New Year's eve with my friends. We would all get together and order food, play games and watch movies. About 5 minutes to midnight, we would turn the TV onto the channel where they show the ball being dropped in Times Square and we'd watch that. It was a lot of fun. Unfortunatley now I always have to work on New years so I celebrate the coming of the new year with the other employees who couldn't get the night off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Kelsey!
    You have a job on New Year's day... I hope that you have nice time with them!;)
    I usually watch special music program on TV with my sister at that time:)

    ReplyDelete