
That is rice cakes boiled with vegetables. Ozouni is one of the famous Japanese food.We eat this the special day to thank for harvest and hope for good harvest at new year.For example, New Year's Day.We add many kinds of foods like radishes, carrots, dried bonito, and rice cake.But the taste is different as region. In east Japan, Ozouni is made from Light soup tailoring. The shape of the rice cake is a square.But, in west Japan, it's made from white miso tailoring. The shape of the rice cake is a round.
It is very interesting, isn't it? I like Ozouni.
Please try this;-D
Hi Soichiro!
ReplyDeleteOzouni looks and sounds delicious, I'd love to try it someday! What kind of food is dried bonito? I'm not sure if we have that here in the US.
Hey Soichiro,
ReplyDeleteOzouni sure looks interesting! I think it's pretty cool that it differs by region. I'm pretty sure there's some food like that in the U.S., but I can't really think of any right now. Also, in the picture on the right, what are those star-shaped orange things?
See you around!
Thank you for your comment, Kevin!
ReplyDeleteI recommended you to eat Ozouni!
Dried bonito is very thin food like paper. But we don't eat only it. We sometimes enjoy the flavor by boiling.
When we dry the meat of bonito, it turns hard. If we shave it very thin, we get 'dried bonito'. But we can't make it by our selves. So we bought it in srocery store. It is strange for you, I guessX-(
Thank you for your comment, Chris Champoux!
ReplyDeleteI think this is very interesting characteristic, too.
In the right picture, there are some orange things. They are carrots! And, I think the shape is cherry blossom because cherry blossom is one of the representative flower in Japan. Japanese people sometimes devise to cook like this;-D