Monday, November 15, 2010

Golden week

I like Golden week, Japanese public holidays.

Through the end of April and the beginning of May, there are public holidays in Japan.

April 29

Shōwa Day. It honors the birthday of the Emperor in Shōwa era (Shōwa era was 1926-1989).

May 3

Constitution Memorial Day

May 4

Greenery Day

Children's Day. This day to be a national holiday to celebrate the happiness of all children and to express gratitude toward mothers.

We can have a good rest in "Golden week" after April. In Japan, the fiscal and school year starts from April.

Which American holiday do you like?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hiro,

    Golden Week sounds great - it must be really nice to have all the holidays in that same week! I wish we had a holiday like Children's Day when I was a kid. What do you celebrate for the Constitution Memorial Day?

    My favorite American holiday is probably Christmas.. ever since I was a kid, I've always loved it, and I really enjoy buying other people gifts. Though I love the gift-giving and receiving, my favorite part of Christmas is getting to see family that I haven't seen in a long time - being able to spend time with them when none of us have to work is great! I can't wait for Christmas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin!

    Traditionally Japanese people have celebrated the day and given something to children, but nowadays it's becoming just a holiday.
    On Children's day, we often have chimaki, the rice cake.

    Are you going to go home at Christmas? That's good!!
    In Japan, people do so during the year change period.

    ReplyDelete